A compelling answer to the pressing business challenges and pain points of today
In the words of Klaus Schwab, the executive chairman of the World Economic Forum – “the world is fast changing, hyper-connected and ever more complex.” According to studies by CNBC and INNOSIGHT, the average life span of an S&P 500 company during the 1950’s dropped from 60 years to a current 20 years. This is projected to narrow down to 12 years by 2027. Consider that in a single generation, companies have had to adapt to entirely new marketing channels, competing on a global scale and, most importantly, having to deal with exponential, often disruptive, technological change.
Business leaders and entrepreneurs are grappling to cope with volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity (VUCA). Navigating a business through overcrowded markets, in a VUCA environment; while endeavouring to earn a decent return on investment, is daunting. A quote by Peter Senge has never rung more true than now: “The only sustainable competitive advantage is an organization’s ability to learn faster than the competition.”
How are these seemingly apocalyptic trends impacting companies today?
A recent research project by Afrinomix Consulting found that, amongst business consultants, these are recognised as some of the most common pain points and challenges faced by companies.
Unsatisfactory financial performance
Uncertainty, complexity & disruption
Dealing with change
Access to cost of capital
One side effect of these business pain points is that no single CEO/CxO, or entrepreneur, can be an expert in everything. Some of the biggest challenges companies face today can be best addressed by bringing an independent, experienced and qualified consultant on board. An external management or business consultant can bring a fresh perspective, become your sounding board and lead you to unique, breakthrough business solutions.
Afrinomix Consulting provides management consulting and executive coaching services to midsized and smaller companies in the service industry. We specialise in finance, strategy and leadership.
We are based in Pretoria, South Africa; through technology, we have a global reach.
What sets us apart?
Marius van Wyk (MBA, MPhil, MA) – founder and owner of Afrinomix Consulting – is a business executive with a career spanning over 30 years. He has worked as financial director with a Fortune 2000 company, an associate at a top-four global consulting firm, pension fund chief executive and business analyst. He graduated from Imperial College London and the University of Pretoria. In addition, he completed the Harvard Business School programme in Leading Change and Organisational Renewal. He is a COMENSA registered coach and mentor.
Our customer value proposition is:
- PARTNER ENGAGEMENT THROUGHOUT
- BIG FOUR CREDENTIALS
- COMPETITIVELY PRICED
What We Do
However intimidating exponential change, complexity, disruption, increasing competition and their inevitable impact on your company’s financial performance may be, we should see these challenges as opportunities. Opportunities for improvement, reinvention; even pushing your business into new frontiers. ‘Strategy’, in its purest form, refers to the purposeful allocation of resources in a competitive environment over relatively long periods of time in the pursuit of specific goals.
Afrinomix Consulting can assist you in reaching these goals by finding the optimum solutions to your most pressing business problems and pain points. Should you aspire to reinvent your business, let us be your trusted partner in this endeavour. Our expertise, principally, lies in finance, strategy and leadership. We offer both management consulting and executive coaching services.
Dealing with pain points related to unsatisfactory financial performance and capital/or funding issues, these are the business consulting services we offer:
- Revenue optimisation (pricing strategies, business model review/reinvention)
- Cost transformation (activity-based costing, zero-based budgeting, best practice controls, supply chain reform and CAPEX efficacy management)
- Integrated performance management systems (vision/objectives/process alignment, cross-functional service level agreements, performance contracts), best practice management reporting (variance analysis, metrics, benchmarking)
- Compliance and governance (audit recommendations follow-up/implementation, regulatory management and ethics championing)
- Finance divisional reform (organisational design/processes and procedures/job descriptions/internal controls/delegations of authority/cross-functional communication/dashboard reporting and follow-up)
- Corporate finance (fundraising, business plans, investment proposals, capital restructuring, valuations and project evaluations)
Dealing with pain points related to uncertainty, complexity, disruption, rapid change, increasingly overcrowded markets – is mostly intimidating – even frightening. It does not have to be this way, especially with an independent management consultant at your side. Consider insights from the following quotes to ease your apprehension.
Michael Porter – “The underlying principles of strategy are enduring, and regardless of the technology or the pace of change.”
John P. Kotter – “Never underestimate the power of clever people to help others see the possibilities, to help them generate a feeling of faith, and to change behaviour.”
William Bridges – “Because transition is a process by which people unplug from an old world into a new world, we can say that transition begins with an ending and finishes with a new beginning.”
Nike – “There is no finish line.”
Although the challenges of a volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous business environment can be daunting, it may present exciting new opportunities to take your company to the next level. Afrinomix Consulting offers the following professional assistance in this regard:
- Industry analysis (competitiveness, attractiveness i.t.o. ROI/ROCE, industry outlook)
- External and internal analyses
- Strategy mapping (red ocean: redefining competitive advantage – price/differentiation/focus)
- Strategy mapping (blue ocean: making competition irrelevant)
- Organisational change and transition project management
- Strategy implementation management
- Post M&A integration project management
- Strategy retreat facilitation
- Executive coaching interventions
Pain points related to leadership refer to dealing with increasing pressures from shareholders and the business, ethics, social responsibility, information overload, complex problem solving, risk management, work/life balance and losing focus. We believe that leadership and learning are entirely interdependent, especially when guided by a management consultant. John C. Maxwell once said: “Leadership is not about titles, positions or flowcharts. It is about one life influencing another.” If this resonates with you, Afrinomix Consulting is in a prime position to partner with you through:
- Executive coaching interventions
- Leadership development training
- Leadership mentoring
Our successes as management and business consultants in finance, strategy and leadership have resulted in the following outcomes:
- Successful telecom (MTN Swaziland) start-up, raising the necessary capital, reaching EBITDA break-even within its first year of operations
- MTN Cameroon turnaround described by the business press: “an ugly duckling turns into a beautiful swan”; revenue optimisation and cost reform resulting in EBITDA margin improvement of 37% within a 2-year period
- Cost reform and revenue optimisation for MTN Afghanistan, resulting in a 12% EBITDA and PBT margin improvement of 22% within an18-month period
- Cost reform and restructuring programme for MTN Rwanda
- Implementation of business analysis and reporting department for MTN Ghana Finance Division
- Introduction of best practice management reporting and performance management system for MTN Ghana
- Successful capital restructuring of MTN in Cameroon (raising US$ 35m loan)
- Business planning process improvement project for MTN Nigeria
- Advising and negotiating two M&A deals for MTN Nigeria and Cameroon
- Three successful post-M&A integration projects at three of the MTN subsidiaries
Other industries in the service sector
- Cost transformation for a Nigerian power distribution company, i.e. Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Corporation
- Design financial valuation model for Ocean Container Investments
- Designing financial model for IFC sponsored rural uplifting project
- Costing/pricing model for several national training providers as part of a Department of Labour sponsored project
- Project managed successful integration of three post-M&A’s (PwC corporate clients)
- Training for business analysts of major development financial institution (PwC client)
- Award for best performing regional loan & property investment portfolio, improving ROI by 17% over a 24-month period (Business Partners Northern KZN region)
- Transforming companies with adverse audit reports to ethics & governance role models (e.g. MTN Cameroon, MTN Afghanistan, MTN South Sudan)
- Raising capital for numerous start-ups and existing companies in the SME sector
Experience as mentor, coach and facilitator
- Mentoring several staff members in advancing to senior management and C-suite levels
- Keynote speaker and panellist at several international events, facilitator at strategy retreats
- Facilitating strategy session for the University of Pretoria Theological Faculty
- Facilitating several strategy break-away sessions for various companies (mostly within MTN Group of companies, and for PwC corporate clients)
How We Do It
“The formulation of a problem is often more essential than its solution. If I had one hour to solve a specific problem, I would spend 55 minutes on understanding what the problem really is, and 5 minutes on formulating the solution.” – Albert Einstein
Reaching an optimum solution through management consulting is an intricate, and often delicate process. Although the situation at different companies may not always be the same, this is the basic process we follow.
- Quantitative and forensic analysis
- Higher-level listening – asking powerful and empowering questions
- Team dynamics
- Cognitive debiasing
- Complex problem-solving techniques
- Recognised frameworks in management science, e.g. Porter, McKinsey’s 7S, Kotter, Kim & Mauborgne, Bridges, Teece, etc.
- Financial modelling and “what-if” analysis
- Advanced valuation techniques
Our business values underpin everything we do: teamwork, fidelity, respect, passion and excellence.
- The GROW Model
- Kolb’s Experiential Learning
- Solutions Based Model
- Clean Language Coaching
Meet the team
Marius van Wyk
Professional Engagement Partner
Marius is a highly qualified and trained professional; an accomplished business executive with a career spanning over a 30-year period.
- CFO at four of MTN Group subsidiaries in Africa and the Middle East
- Board Member/Executive Director
- Chief Executive of Pension Fund
- Associate – PricewaterhouseCoopers Consulting
- Business Analyst – Business Partners Limited
- Speaker and industry expert panellist at several international telecom conferences
- MBA with merit (Imperial College London)
- MA (University of Pretoria)
- MPhil cum laude (University of Pretoria)
- Hons BCom (University of South Africa)
- BCom cum laude (University of Pretoria)
Executive and leadership training
- Leading Change and Organisational Renewal (Harvard Business School)
- Executive Development Programme (University of Stellenbosch)
- Certificate in Executive and Management Coaching (University of Cape Town)
- Performance Management Programme (University of Stellenbosch)
- Coaches and Mentors South Africa (COMENSA)
- Avid reader, health & fitness enthusiast, hiker, traveller, enjoys good music and nature lover.
Martie van Wyk
Marketing and Administrative Director
Martie has more than 17 years’ experience in banking and running an events company.
- BA in Geography and Anthropology at UNISA
- American Express – Merchant Liaison Officer
- RMB Private Bank – Administration Consultant
- Afrika Events – Owner
- Trained chef (London Chamber of Commerce Certification)
- Hiker, traveller, health & fitness enthusiast, interior decorator, gardening, animal and nature lover.
Organisations and Brands
we Collaborated with
Read our latest blog on what Afrinomix Consulting can do to improve the performance of your company, or what we can do to help you transform your business.
- July 27, 2021
- July 19, 2021
- January 16, 2020
- January 15, 2020
- September 3, 2019
- August 12, 2019
- August 5, 2019
- July 29, 2019